Library 2.0 and participatory library services
The beginnings of Library 2.0 were based on the underlying principles (or 4Cs) of Web 2.0 – collaboration, conversation, community and content creation (or co-creation).
This Library 2.0 meme map developed by Bonaria Biancu (2006, http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonaria/113222147/sizes/o/) proposes the main elements of the Library 2.0 concept.
- Miller, P. (2005). Web 2.0: Building the new library, Ariadne, 45, 30 October. Retrieved from http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue45/miller
- Casey, M. & Savastinuk, L. (2006). Library 2.0: Service for the next-generation library,Library Journal, 1 September. Retrieved fromhttp://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6365200.html
- Governor, J., Hinchcliffe, D, & Nickull, D. (2009). Web 2.0 architectures (1st ed.). Sebastopol, Calif.: O’Reilly Media. [ebook] Availablehttp://proquest.safaribooksonline.com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/9780596514433 [For the technically-minded in terms of library site design]
- Mathews, B. (2009). Web design matters: Ten essentials for any library site. Library Journal, (15 February). Retrieved from http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6634712.html?industryid=47126
- Lazaris, L. (2009). Designing websites for kids: Trends and best practices, Smashing Magazine, (27 November). Retrieved from http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/11/27/designing-websites-for-kids-trends-and-best-practices/
- McBurnie, J. (2007). Your online identity: Key to marketing and being found. FUMSI, (October). Retrieved from http://web.fumsi.com/go/article/share/2510
- Stephen Abram’s paper at the Online Information 2007 Conference where he tries to define the ‘work’ of a Librarian 2.0, Web 2.0, library 2.0 and librarian 2.0: Preparing for the 2.0 world
- Harvey, M. (2009). What does it mean to be a Science Librarian 2.0? Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship, (Summer). Retrieved from http://www.istl.org/09-summer/article2.html
- Peckham, S. (2009). Networking: Overcoming your hesitation. FUMSI, November. Retrieved from http://web.fumsi.com/go/article/share/433
- Henry, V. (2010). How to network and LIKE it: A 10 point plan. FUMSI, (February). Retrieved from http://web.fumsi.com/go/article/share/4472
Great multimedia on the topic
[Love this video! Makes me so proud that I’m becoming one of them :)]
[Some really powerful ideas in this video but given the date of publication (2006), would she have modified her ideas today?]