(Post 2 – What I actually did) – link to more info about this school
This post describes a school in which i regularly provide substitute cover for the two TLs.
The school is a prestigious, vibrant, well established EC3 – Grade 12 international school in a major city in China. It has a population of just under 2000 students.
Major selling points (in general):
- A modern 50,000 square meter school building, situated at the center of a 133,500 square meter (32-acre) campus
- 2 purpose-built sports domes, sitting side-by-side on an area of over 8,500 square meters
- 4 fully-equipped gymnasiums (one with a climbing wall); baseball and softball diamonds; two full-sized turf soccer practice fields, and an aquatics center with a 25-meter pool with diving boards
- Hospital grade filtration system filtering indoor air 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- State-of-the-art, dedicated science labs in Elementary, Middle and High School
- Dedicated visual arts wings in Middle School and High School; dedicated art studios in Elementary Performing arts wing with 600-seat theater, black box theater, rehearsal space, and studio stage
- A 10,000 sq. meter outdoor learning environment for elementary school students
Library Media specific:
- TWO full time teacher librarians to serve almost 800 students from EC3 – Grade 5
- One TL teaches EC3 – G2, the other G3-5
- 2 library-media centers with more than 80,000 volumes
- One-to-one laptop program throughout the school
- over 82,000 items in our collection
- circulation sits at over 100,000 titles per year
- subscription to over 160 magazines.
- subscription to over 25 online research databases
- interlibrary loan agreement with the National Library of China
- family checkout of 10 titles (due to lack of availability of English language texts, this library serves as a public library to the school community)
- access to firewalled sites (school streams connection through HK so parents are able to access YouTube, Facebook, personal blogs etc)
- a group of 20 volunteers that cycle through the week – reshelving, repairing books
- one full time library technician who works primarily in the Teacher Resource Centre (24,000 titles including guided reading texts, big books and professional reading)
- one full time and two part time library assistants who predominately run circulation and collection organisation
Here are some images of aspects of this library I fell in love with:
A fabulous display promoting the Panda book awards.
Come chill on the couches, read a magazine or a fun reference book!
Who do you see in the mirror? A READER!
Want kids to pick up books and read? Face those babies OUTWARD!
After reading one of the Panda books, kids can place a star underneath the title. Each star earns house points.
American author and performer, Eric Litwin, was a visiting author for this school. The very talented EC3 teacher whipped up these fabulous full size models as promotional materials. Eric loved them!